Government . . .
- Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone
The Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone Indians of Nevada is a coalition government with headquarters in Elko, Nevada,
serving four distinct Shoshone colonies in Nevada: Battle Mountain Colony, Elko Colony, South Fork Colony, and Wells Colony.
The Te-Moak Tribal Council has total jurisdiction over all tribal lands, though the colonies retain sovereignty over all the other affairs, and
each has its own separate governing council. The Te-Moak Tribe's constitution and by-laws was adopted and approved in 1938 and amended in 1982. More...
- Battle Mountain Band Colony
The Battle Mountain Reservation is located on the west side of the city limits of the town of
Battle Mountain, Nevada. It consists of two separate parcels of land totaling 683.3 acres. The
original 677.05-acre reservation was established by Executive Order on June 18, 1917, for Shoshones living near Winnemucca and Battle Mountain.
By an Act of Congress on August 21, 1967, an additional 6.25 acres were added to colony lands. More...
- Elko Band Colony
The Elko Colony is located in the high desert of northeastern Nevada, near the Humboldt River. The reservation
encompasses 192.80 noncontiguous acres adjacent to the city of Elko, the county seat of Elko County, Nevada.
Elko is the only major city near the reservation. Reno, Nevada, lies 289 miles southeastward along U.S. Interstate 80. The
Elko Colony was established by Executive Order on March 25, 1918 which reserved 160 acres for Shoshone and Paiute Indians living
near the town of Elko. Today, 192.8 acres remain in federal trust. More...
- South Fork Band Colony
The South Fork Band Colony covers approximately 13,050 acres in northeastern Nevada, 28 miles south of the city of Elko.
The reservation sits on rugged high desert terrain typical of northern Nevada and Utah. It is
located just west of the Humboldt National Forest and in the foothills of the Ruby Mountains.
The colony was established by Executive Order in 1941 under the provisions of the 1934 Indian Reorganization Act.
Land purchases between 1937 and 1939, totaling 9,500 acres, were put toward the newly established
band's land base. Subsequent land purchases brought the colony to its present size. More...
- Wells Band Colony
The Wells Colony is located in the high desert of northeastern Nevada, just west of the city of Wells, in Elko County.
Elko, the major population center in northeastern Nevada, lies approximately 45 miles southwest of the Wells Colony via Interstate 80.
The reservation was established by an Act of Congress on October 15, 1977. The Wells Band of Western Shoshone retain 80 acres of federal trust land. More...